Monday, June 10, 2013

DIY: Wooden Road Sign (Part 1)

So after building the planters for my centerpieces we still had quite a bit of the old fence wood left over so I decided to use it for an old style road sign... inspiration below...

 
Here is my "mock up" I drew on CAD... I originally wanted to paint the wooden arrows with chalkboard paint so that the "signage" could be erased and changed, but after some common sense thinking, I realized the texture of the wood would most likely be horrible for chalkboard base. (DUH!)
 
I ended up changing most of the arrows "signage" as well...
 
My dad cut the angles into the wood for me and we will eventually nail them to a post and cement the post into a galvanized bucket, so that I can place it anywhere at the wedding venue. (no need to worry about finding a spot to hammer the post into the ground) We also cut a few more board for a few other wooden signs I needed...

pieces for the arrow sign, our "directions" sign and a sign for the guestbook table
For the most part, I free handed the  words with plain 'ole white acrylic paint... I did print out the cursive words so that I could refer to the font that I am using throughout the wedding (and on our invitations)...

 
Overall, the arrows themselves turned out cuter than I expected so I am really excited to see what it all looks like standing up on the post!


These pieces will be on a shorter post up at the top of the road, near the entrance to the winery to let people know where to turn in...

It's hard to tell, but this one is about 12" by 6" and will sit at the table where our guestbook will be, maybe leaning up against a flower arrangement or something...





No comments:

Post a Comment