Monday, July 29, 2013

DIY: Succulent Centerpieces Face Lift


So it was over a month ago when I planted all of the succulents for our centerpieces and within a few weeks it was evident that they would eventually need a bit of a revamp. The first week after we planted them, there was a huge heat wave that scorched a few of the softer plants immediately (I don’t think those ones ever really stood a chance anyway… by week two, every single one of two certain succulent types were dead) Having never really grown succulents outdoors, I think we also over watered them the first week, but after I started noticing some of the leaves turning soft, I switched to every other day watering and ever since then, they have been doing great. But regardless of the plants now thriving, we still initially lost about a third of them in those first couple of weeks. Also, after finishing planting and weeks later realizing that they weren’t going to fill in as much as I wanted them to, I knew that they needed something else.

I decided to consolidate the small succulents that did survive to three per planter and then add a larger plant to each one to take up some space and add some height. First I decided to purchase two different succulent varieties, plant them and watch them for a week to make sure that they did well… and after my test plants turned out fine, I went out and bought some more! The finished product turned out much more satisfying to me as a “centerpiece”… the added height of the bigger plants looked so much better than just the smaller plants by themselves.
 
One of the boxes that completely survived... but still so sparse looking :(
One down, one struggling to live!
NADA!
...replanting...
The finished products
 
Lush! Hopefully they stay that way!
And here is my Microsoft-Paint-mock-up of the truly finished product, complete with moss and mini chalkboards with the table numbers! (minus all the soil mess)
 


Finger crossed that the new plants survive my gardening skills! 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment